Monday, July 31, 2006

If I Were in Walt Jockety's Shoes

(Update--10am Tuesday--8/1)
Hmmmm.... I like the Ronnie Belliard pick-up for Hector Luna. The Jorge Sosa acquisition is nothing to get excited about. I'm guessing Walt will keep an eye on the waiver wire again to see if he can do another Woody Williams/Larry Walker type deal. If not, I guess what you see, is what you get. Not bad...but not likely to challenge for a World Series title.
-----------------------------------------
(Posted- 1pm...2 hours before the MLB, no-waivers trade deadline)

  • I'd do my best to make a dramatic roster change.
  • I'd forget that my team is in first place, and look at the upgrades being made by Cincinnati and other NL foes.
  • I'd consider just about any deal as long as it doesn't break the budget.
  • I'd consider Pujols, Rolen, and Molina as the only position players who are untouchable. (Yes I'd trade David Eckstein if I could get Miguel Tejada)
  • I'd take my team's performance in inter-league play, and games against the arch-rival Cubs, as an indicator of how this group would do in the post-season....NOT good.
  • I'd look at what we did to fill the second base job since letting Mark Grudzielanek walk as an example of what NOT to do in the future.
  • I'd consider Jim Edmonds, because of his contract, a trading chip too.
  • I'd bear in mind that Carpenter, Wainwright and Reyes are the only projected starters for next year under contract.
  • I'd remember that there have been essentially no unsold seats at Busch Stadium this year. And that should pretty much be the case for the forseeable future, as long as I don't get complacent with the roster.
  • I'd be careful about expecting to make a deal by clearing someone through waivers, a la Larry Walker.
  • I'd be careful about using the old "We're in a small market and don't have the resources of others" line this time around.
  • I'd remember the goal is to win the World Series...not the division.
  • I'd remember that Cardinal Nation is used to winning the division.
  • I'd have a speech ready to convince the bosses to loosen up the purse strings for the right deal.
  • I'd be busy on the phone, and not be concerned with what people like me think.

Good luck Walt, you'll need it.

No comments: