Thursday, May 03, 2007

Idol Prediction

You'll notice, if you visit here even semi-regularly, that I have resisted the temptation to write about American Idol this season. It was at this point in the season last year that I was so absorbed in it that I could barely think about anything else. I hate to admit that....but it was true. It was also at this point last year that I was totally shocked by the ouster of Chris Daughtry from the competition. He, of course, as most predicted, has gone on to great success despite the disappointment.

So, I will make this promise. This year, because I don't have anywhere near the same interest level, I will predict how the remaining contestants will finish. And that will be the last time I subject anyone to my "Idol thoughts" on this blog. Incidentally, this year I think America is getting it right...with the exception of the ultra-long and excruciating stay of Sanjaya. His prolonged presence on the show bears out my previous writings about Idol not being a talent contest...but more a popularity contest.

So, let's rank the remaining contestants according to talent. But then let's also predict how they will finish...talent aside.

Singing Talent
1. Melinda Doolittle
2. Jordin Sparks
3. Lakisha Jones
4. Blake Lewis

Performer
1. Jordin Sparks
2. Blake Lewis
3. Melinda Doolittle
4. Lakisha Jones

Order of finsh
1. Jordin Sparks
2. Melinda Doolittle
3. Blake Lewis
4. Lakisha Jones

Reasoning
Lakisha has an amazing voice...but often enough she misses on the interpretation of her song. She seems to overpower the song frequently and "overuses" her voice in spots where she needs to back off and communicate the lyric. She is also the most difficult of the bunch to warm up to. For that reason I think she's next to go home.

Blake has been rewarded for his likeability and his willingness to take a risk with songs. His beat box interpretations have been amazing. However, he cannot outperform Jordin or Melinda. He's the strongest male in a weak year for the guys. Being a guy may even get him to the final week of the show.

Melinda has been consistently the best singer...just about every week I've been able to watch. She is a pro. But, she doesn't come through the camera to the TV audience...and she doesn't have the stage presence of either Jordin or Blake. Remember at this point it gets to be more of a personality contest...and while Melinda is likeable...she is not charismatic.

17-year-old Jordin Sparks will be this year's American Idol because she has the total package. She's a great singer with outstanding interpretation of the material. Her You'll Never Walk Alone a few weeks back was tantamount to Katherine McPhee's Over the Rainbow of last year's show. The camera loves Jordin. It's easy to see how she...even at her young age...could move right into professional performing.


So...There's my prediction. By the end of the month we'll see if I'm anywhere in the ballpark.

No comments: