Wednesday, March 24, 2021

#1 in Our Hearts

 After learning of the passing of Bobby Plager, I thought sitting down and writing a tribute would make me feel better. I hope by the end of this I do. Because hearing of his passing in an automobile accident was like taking a Plager-brothers punch to the diaphragm. You don't get over that very quickly.  

Let me be clear, as much time as I have spent at Blues hockey games since the late 80's, I didn't encounter Bobby nearly as much as I would have liked. But when I did, it was always "smile time". He either had a joke to tell or a story that would light up your day. Getting to see him enjoy the Stanley Cup parade and celebration, and all that went with it, in 2019 will be how I choose to remember him. So, with that in mind, let me tell you a story that I think he would approve. 

Robert Bryant Plager was a very good hockey player for 14 years in the NHL. But it's my belief that his influence and impact on the sport, particularly in St. Louis, is not fully understood. I believe this because of an experience I had in 2008 north of the border. 

In January of 2007 the Blues management surprised me with an on-ice ceremony prior to a Detroit Red Wings game to recognize my 20-year anniversary as the team PA announcer. My wife Barb was invited onto the ice as John Davidson (then President) and Dallas Drake (then Captain) presented me with a few gifts to commemorate the occasion. One of the gifts was a chance to fly on the team charter to anywhere the team would play in the next season. Barb was invited to come along. 

We decided that a trip to Toronto and the chance to visit the Hockey Hall of Fame would be a great idea. It also happened to coincide with our 30th wedding anniversary in January of 2008. So off to Toronto it would be. But let's get back to Bobby. 

The day before the game we were already in Toronto and had a chance to look around the city. Bernie Federko, already a HOFer, was kind enough to get us passes to the Hall of Fame...which is awesome by the way. Kelly Chase recommended a great steak house not far from the team hotel. It wasn't cheap...but it was worth every penny. As we approached the hotel on our walk back from dinner I said to Barb..."I wonder what's going on at the hotel?" "Why?"...she said. "Because there's a big crowd creating a commotion in the lobby for some reason." 

It turned out the reason was Mr. Bobby Plager. 

Bobby had taken some time to travel back to his home area knowing that the Blues would be in town. Bobby's home town is Kirkland Lake, Ontario in the northeastern part of the province. It's not really that close to Toronto, but believe me, the folks from around Toronto know him very well. There must have been a hundred or so people crowded around him in that hotel lobby as he held court. He told stories...most of them family-friendly it seemed...signed autographs, and generally made the crowd happy. I'm sure some were there to catch a glimpse of some of the Blues players. But Bobby was a rock star to that group on that night. You know Bobby...he was just happy to be around hockey people and talk up the Blues. You might have confused him for Gordie Howe or Wayne Gretzky based on the excited behavior of that crowd. I was amazed, and saw our Mr. Plager in a whole new light. 

So to those who think that Bobby was just a St. Louis phenomenon...think again. Hockey fans in Toronto on that night were as thrilled to be around him as we always have been in St. Louis. The Blues organization definitely did the right thing in retiring his number and raising his jersey to the rafters at Enterprise Center...as if there should be any doubt. The hockey world knew all about Bobby Plager. I would hope there's a place in that Toronto Hall for him some day.  

So...that's my Bobby Plager story. Oh there are others, but this one I thought might give him the hockey-world respect he so rightfully deserves. 

I don't feel any better about losing our good friend after writing this. I guess I knew I wouldn't. We all loved him so much....because he always loved us first. Rest In Peace Bob. And we know you'll enjoy those crowds around you in hockey heaven. 

No comments: